The short answer is yes. Hotels, motels and resorts are obligated to provide you with safe, clean, and habitable lodging conditions. If you have been exposed to bed bugs in a hotel, you have come to the right firm. We have been helping people who have been affected by bed bugs, and we are dedicated to fighting for the compensation you deserve.
Recent Bed Bug Hotel Lawsuit Results:
The Law Offices of Effie Soter P.C. expeditiously obtained compensation for one Plaintiff in the amount of $90,000. The Plaintiff sustained injuries from bed bug bites while occupying a bed bug infested room at a NYC area hotel. The Plaintiff needed to seek medical help to treat her bites which took time to resolve.
The Law Offices of Effie Soter, P.C. has also been featured in a New York Post article about our lawsuit against a different NYC area hotel. See our case discussed in the New York Post.
What you should do if you suspect you have been exposed to bed bugs at a hotel:
If you suspect that you have been exposed to bed bugs at a hotel, it is very important that you act quickly in informing management and in taking the appropriate steps to ensure you do not bring those bed bugs home with you where you may infest your home with bedbugs and be forced to treat your home using pesticide chemicals. Exposure to chemical pesticides can cause many serious issues to your health. Please refer to our other bed bug cases featured in the New York Post and in DNAinfo for more information.
If you have been bitten by bed bugs at a hotel, our New York Bed Bug Attorneys can help you to obtain compensation for any injuries you suffered. Following a bed bug attack it is most important to obtain evidence that the bed bugs were actually in the hotel room. If possible, the following steps should be taken following a bed bug attack at a hotel:
- Capture and save the actual bed bug or bed bugs (If possible keep the bed bugs separate because they can eat each other)
- Take photographs of the actual bed bug(s) in your hotel room
- Take photographs of any fecal droppings (black spots in specific areas), blood stains on sheets (they may not be red), or bedbug skin that has been shed
- Notify the hotel management immediately and have your incident documented. Demand a copy of the report and do not sign anything that the Hotel may attempt to give you. The hotel may attempt to immediately get you to sign a release, which would waive your right to seek any compensation.
- Take photographs of your hotel room.
- Seek immediate medical attention at a hospital or doctor.
- Demand to have hotel management change your hotel room immediately.
- Take photographs on a daily basis of ALL the bed bug bites that you incurred until they are gone.
- Ask for the name of the person that last cleaned your room and the manager on duty.
- Ask for the name of the person the hotel sends to inspect your hotel room.
- Save any receipts that show that you actually stayed at the hotel.
- Do not bring any clothes, suitcases or anything else that was with you at the hotel into your home or car until it has been properly treated for bed bugs. Bed bugs spread easily and you don’t want to have an infestation in your home.
Types of Compensation Available for Cases of Bed Bugs in Hotel
If you experienced bed bugs while staying a hotel, there are a number of things you can be compensated for. Beyond pain related to the bites themselves and the medical bills associated with treatment, compensation may also include property damage for items that needed to be replaced due to infestation, as well as property discarded to avoid bringing the bed bugs home. If you unknowingly brought bed bugs to your home, you may be entitled to compensation for out of pocket expenses for have to retain an exterminator to treat your home for bed bugs.
Other compensation that has been recovered from other cases related to bed bugs at a hotel include:
- Lost wages due to missed work from side effects of bed bug bites
- The cost of ruined or cut-short vacations and trips
- Compensation for permanent scarring/disfigurement from bites
- Emotional distress and constant fear of bed bugs after being bitten
- Pain and suffering
- Health and medical expenses
- Property damages
- Punitive damages
- Temporary lodging
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Loss of wages due to missed work from side effects of bed bug bites
You deserve to be compensated properly for your injuries, inconvenience, and distress. If a hotel is resistant to providing reasonable compensation, the bed bug lawyers at The Law Offices of Effie Soter, P.C. can be of great assistance.
We will not hesitate to file suit if it is in your best interest of the victim, and you will have a greater chance of obtaining compensation when you have an experienced bed bug lawyer by your side.
Why Work With The Law Offices of Effie Soter, P.C.?
At The Law Offices of Effie Soter, P.C., we have been helping victims and people who have been affected by bed bugs, and we are dedicated to fighting for the compensation you deserve. Bed bugs are a serious issue, and our experience and commitment make us the trusted source for legal help relating to bed bugs in hotels.
Contact a New York bed bug attorney at The Law Offices of Effie Soter, P.C. to discuss your case. The New York Bed Bug Attorneys at The Law Offices of Effie Soter, P.C. offer free initial consultations to discuss your rights. You can contact us at 646-504-7384 or via email to learn more about your rights so that we can obtain the best outcome for you.