-Careful listener, honest adviser, keeping your interests first.
Effie Soter is an attorney licensed to practice in New York State with 15 + years legal experience specializing in Personal Injury, Car Accidents, Slip and Fall, Toxic Torts, Bed Bugs, Medical Malpractice, Commercial Litigation, Real Estate, Landlord and Tenant disputes, Intellectual Property.
Effie’s firm is dedicated to service, trust, and attorney accessibility. Ms. Soter’s passion to solve problems and make the legal process transparent to each client is reflected in her belief that no question is unimportant or should remain unrequited. She also understands the concerns of her clients and that they will want to know what’s happening in their case.
Ms. Soter attended City University of New York School of Law on full scholarship where she earned her J.D. and received her B.A. from New York University where she graduated summa cum laude. After law school Ms. Soter worked for the New York State Attorney General’s Office, Litigation Bureau where she argued motions in New York Supreme Court, wrote legal memoranda for appeals claims against New York state, and drafted motions for medical malpractice ERISA age discrimination cases.
During this time, Effie also assisted the underserved in the field of family law and provided pro bono services to immigration, bankruptcy, domestic violence victims, the elderly, and the Native American community in New York. Ms. Soter quickly noticed that poverty, unemployment, conditions in housing projects, and homelessness all made people likely to get arrested, whether innocent or not. One legal problem tended to involve others. This insight was the beginning of her dream to build an integrated law practice.
Ms. Soter represents both tenants and landlords in Housing Court and handles cases ranging from routine summary dispossess non-payment of rent to complex lease termination cases in Civil Court as well as cases involving declaratory and injunctive relief and damages in Supreme Court. She is a seasoned negotiator and litigator. In addition; she interprets, drafts and negotiates commercial and residential real estate sales contracts and rental agreements. She also practices intellectual property.
To better serve her clients, Effie does not cater to volume business but provides highly personalized care with large firm attention to detail and exceptional work products at reasonable, competitive rates.
Effie was born and raised in Brooklyn where she currently lives. In addition to the law, she studied oil painting and sculpture at the School of Visual Arts in New York City. Her artwork has been displayed at the Contemporary Art Fair festival in NYC at the Jacob Javits Center. She is fluent in Greek.
- State of New York, 2004
- Supreme Court of the State of New York Appellate Division, 2004
- U.S. Federal District Court: Eastern District, 2010
- U.S. Federal District Court: Southern District, 2010
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court: Eastern District, 2010
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court: Southern District, 2010
- Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 2015
- AV® Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rated for Ethical Standards & Legal Ability
- English (native)
- Greek fluent
- Juris Doctor – City University of New York School of Law, New York, 2004
- CUNY Law Scholarship, 2001
- Harold B. Hays Law Fellow Scholar in Public Interest, 2003
- CUNY Law Review
- US-China Lawyers Society Collected Papers, 2002. Requirements to Prosecute Patent Applications: Why Are They Compulsory?
- Bachelor of Arts, Summa Cum Laude – New York University, New York, 2001
-Simon Gluckman Biology Award, 2001
-Economics and Journalism