Around 30,000 babies are born every year with some form of a birth injury. Medical staff, including obstetric physicians, pediatricians, nurses, technicians and medical assistants, might be responsible for these tragic labor and delivery mistakes that cause life-long injuries. In some circumstances the injuries can be so dire that a tragic death occurs to a mother or her child or possibly to both.
If you or your child were injured during pregnancy or during the labor and delivery process, you may have the right to file a claim against the person(s) who caused you your injury. It is natural for parents of a child who suffered a birth injury also to have many questions. We suggest you start with these three steps.
- Request the appropriate evaluations and medical care. Many babies suffer from severe injuries that require ongoing assessment and medical care, but some problems may not appear until days, weeks, or even months after the injury occurred. If your or your baby is experiencing any difficulties at all, seek immediate medical attention.
- Keep a record of what has happened. Start an injury journal with dates of medical visits, outcomes, and recall your own summary of what happened leading up to, during, and after the birth injury. Keep a folder with the information you have received including diagnoses, treatment plans, medical documents, test results, and financial statements. This way, the data can be more easily communicated when presenting your case to a New York Birth Injury Attorney.
- Speak with a New York Birth Injury Attorney so that your potential claim can be evaluated. After you have been provided the support and care your child requires contact an attorney. A law firm that has experience in birth injury litigation can help identify the evidence needed to prove that a medical professional did not do all they could to keep you or your child safe. And that it is possible the injuries could have been prevented with more reasonable, effective, and immediate medical care.
The New York Birth Injury Attorneys at The Law Offices of Effie Soter, P.C. have experience handling all types of birth injury lawsuits, supporting clients in New York State.
Common Preventable Birth Injuries and Medical Malpractice
Injuries suffered at birth can be severely life-altering for both the child and the mother. Some of these birth injuries may result in a medical malpractice case.
Some of the most common preventable birth injuries include Erb’s Palsy, hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy, bone fractures and nerve damage, cephalohematoma, perinatal asphyxia, intracranial hemorrhage, subconjunctival hemorrhage, facial paralysis, spinal cord injuries, and cerebral palsy.
Other types of birth injuries that a baby and their mothers may also encounter include:
- Fetal (or maternal) death occurring before, during, or after delivery
- Medication and prescription drug mistakes
- Failure to timely perform a C-Section
- Injuries caused by vacuum extraction and delivery tools
- Breech birth complications
- Ultrasound errors
- Obstetric violence and discrimination
At The Law Offices of Effie Soter, P.C., our New York Birth Injury Attorneys understand that your immediate goals are to receive the treatment and support you deserve, resolve your medical bills, and ensure that someone will pay for any future needs relating to the birth injury. We can help you get there.
Contact a New York Birth Injury Attorney for Help
If you or your child has been injured during a pregnancy, at birth or shortly after, call us at 646-504-7384 or contact us to set up a free consultation with a New York Birth Injury Attorney to discuss your legal options.
An experienced New York Birth Injury Attorney can meet with you to discuss the situation and explain the possible scenarios are available to your family in your time of need.